Monday, July 4, 2011

One of the Best Holidays of the Year: The 4th of July

For many years, the 4th of July has been one of my favorite holidays. But, it has taken me almost all those years to figure out why. Yes, I love the fireworks, the picnics, "Stadium of Fire" (a Utah tradition), the parades, the 10Ks, and other celebrations. But that is not why it ranks so high with me. Behind Christmas and Easter, celebrations with obvious messages about our Savior, I think the 4th of July is the most important holiday for surprisingly similar reasons.

You see, Latter-day Saints believe this country came into being for a purpose. We believe that the founding fathers (or brothers, depending on your author) were inspired by God to separate from England (and we believe they knew that, too). But not only that, we believe the Constitution was also inspired. In the Doctrine and Covenants we read:

According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I [God] have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;...And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood (D&C 101:77, 80).

A lot of scholars note that since the formation of the USA, its constitution has been duplicated in many, many countries. While this is an important purpose, I truly believe there is one primary reason this country came to be--freedom of religion. It is only a country where the supreme law of the land guaranteed freedom of religion could the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ be restored to the earth.

Prior to the birth of this nation, not one country allowed freedom of religious thought or practice--not one. Only here and only after 1787 did that freedom exist on the earth. Less than 20 years later, on December 23, 1805, Joseph Smith was born and less than 25 years after that, on April 6, 1830, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was officially organized. On that day, the church officially had 6 members, all US citizens. While the church struggled to survive for several years due to religious persecution (something the Constitution helped them overcome), the martyrdom of its first prophet, and by being driven into the Mexican territories, today it has over 14 million members. Church materials are available all over the world in 166 languages.

While some will cling to the belief that the greatest gift the USA has given to the world is constitutional democratic republics, and I do believe this is partly true, I say (and I bet I'm not the only one) that the 'true' greatest gift the USA has given the world is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ as found in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. To me, that is why the 4th of July is my third favorite holiday.

Jesus said in John 8:32, "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." Because of this nation, the gospel of Jesus Christ was restored. The truth was restored. To me, that is something to celebrate. Let freedom ring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment